Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 20-21

Yesterday I woke up at 7 ish. I had fallen asleep early the night before, around 10 or 10:30. I woke up not tired at all, and with no memory of dreams. Just the distant taste of them.

I hit the road by 9:30. I spent a solid hour walking into businesses to ask abut jobs. Fed Ex, Starbucks, and the Marriott all told me to go online. I also went to a printing company, but they said they weren't hiring. They gave me the form anyway.

It took me half an hour to find parking. Finally, I found a space and made it to my apartment. I applied to two hotel jobs online, only one of them actually inquiring about the Ivy League school I attended. One of the hotels had me take a questionnaire. These tests are not always easy. Most of the questions want to know if your solution involves you tackling a problem yourself, you following the instructions of a supervisor, or you working with others. You spend so much time wondering what response the hotel wants. Do they want someone who knows to alert upper management? Or someone that will focus on the problem even if it means leaving a busy lobby understaffed. I found myself putting down my honest answer at times simply because deciphering the correct answer was too difficult. I was interested in the fact that though the questionnaire had a timer in the corner, you could click a button to hide the time.

I tried to hang pictures in my room. I unpacked bags and boxes. It surprised me just how quickly I was able to move through the boxes, identifying what would be of interest in each one and which boxes I could round off to holding nothing of immediate value. It's also amusing how many things you forget about. I discovered so many artifacts of my college life that had completely forgotten within just two and a half months.

I enjoy the painting job that Mel and I accomplished.

I work with the tutoring service to fill out background checks and so forth. And I need to figure out these quarterly estimates for taxes that will need to do since I am not an employee of the tutoring service but rather, an independent contractor.

I fell asleep later than usual. That and graphic dreams were what kept me asleep on the couch until 10:15. I had a dream of death and a dream of marriage. I am not prepared to describe these dreams because of how gruesome and controversial and provocative they are. I realize I risk forgetting some details, but I think it will be okay.

I'm off.

Oh, and because of me being exhausted and watching tv, I did not get any writing done yesterday.

Maybe today...

No comments:

Post a Comment