Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Rest of Day 21

I was driving to the grocery store when I got a call from an unknown number. I answered it, and a woman asked if this was Charlie Isaacs. I said yes. She said she was with a company, the name of which I did not hear, and she wanted to ask about my resume. Delighted, I quickly tried to find a way to pull over, but there was no place in sight. I explained that I was driving. Since I was still trying to pull over, I was distracted and sounded choppy on the phone. She understood, and she offered to call back. Before I could answer, she offered instead to give me their number. And finally she added that she would call back and leave a voicemail.

So I thanked her and got off the phone. But just then, I considered the fact that my phone has a number of unheard messages, and there might not be any room on my phone. My phone started to ring, and I found a place to pull over. I was halfway into the space, but not perfectly, when I answered the call. But for some reason I heard nothing on the other end. After a moment, the call was disconnected. I pulled out of the space and was so distracted and excited and preoccupied with missing the call that I nearly hit a woman while turning right on Market. It was one of those moments where you stop to let her walk, but she stops, and then you and she both decide to turn, so you almost hit her again. She literally jumped when I nearly hit her the second time.

And so I finally pulled over again and checked my voicemail. I had no voicemail from the lady because indeed, my inbox was full.

Damn it.

After that, I shook it off and figured that she would maybe call back if not today (it was already almost 4:30) then perhaps tomorrow. So I went grocery shopping. I've done it before, but not so officially and thoroughly and for myself before. I bought $36 worth of food. Enough for two weeks perhaps, plus a week of breakfast. Cereal, a burrito, three pastas, parmesan, olive oil, vegetable mixes, chous chous (spelling?), green peas, and bread. Plus chicken. And also spaghetti sauce. And finally one of those environmentally friendly reusable bags to hold onto for the future.

This marks a revolutionary moment. Wait until I start cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment